Greta Waller November 3 - December 15, 2012

GRETA WALLER
November 3 – December 15, 2012


              Greta Waller "Objects from Venice" 2012, oil on canvas, 73 X 48 inches

Maloney Fine Art is pleased to present an exhibition of new paintings by GRETA WALLER, the artist’s second one-person exhibition with the gallery.

Artist statement:
“I believe all my brushstrokes are correct and exactly where they should go in these paintings. Every mark laid down affects the entire illusion. I am at the point where I am re-teaching myself to trust my sight. Dissecting the situation of when to impose myself is difficult. I never want to p*ss off what fuels the creativity.
The Trajan column and Rome in general, have had a profound influence upon this body of work. I have always responded to Romans and their art. Roman art contains a balance.
My hope in doing this body of work is that by the opening I will be left in confusion. Attempting to understand the confusion will leave me with a challenge when dealing with post-show depression.
The only thing I have faith in anymore is Art. Many view its history as traditional or old- fashioned, but it is the history behind us that if we recognize and learn from, we will not live in fear of repeating our mistakes.
Last, but not least, my art is meaningless if there is no one to look at it.”

For the past two years, following a trip to Rome, Greta has focused her attention on the depiction of objects contained in a closet. Accumulated over the past several years, these personal treasures have been central to the artist’s practice of exploring still life painting as a tool for expression. In large-format canvases, with painterly confidence, Greta has focused intense scrutiny on dozens of objects of affection, which are arranged in tableaus reflecting the artist’s interest in painting that which inspires her; thrift store finds, religious iconography, travel souvenirs, holiday decorations, family heirlooms and personal effects.

Following the artist’s first one-person show of “Ice Paintings” at Maloney Fine Art, Greta Waller has participated in group shows in Los Angeles and New York. The artist holds a BFA from Cooper Hewitt, New York City and an MFA from the University of California, Los Angeles.

The artist lives and works in Los Angeles. 



     Greta Waller "Buca di Beppo" 2012, oil on canvas, 96 X 72 inches